Regional Australia is a vast and vibrant region that provides opportunities and a lifestyle that you cannot find in the cities. If you are looking for an affordable place to live, affordable schooling, a strong and supportive community feel and less time spent in traffic, then you should consider your eligibility for one of the regional visas.
The Australian Government is committed to supporting migrants to settle in regional areas. It has announced changes to encourage migration. They are:
- 2 new skilled regional provisional visas that provide a pathway to permanent residence (Skilled Work Regional (Provisional)(subclass 491) and Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional)(subclass 494)). The Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191) will be available from November 2022.
- a new skilled regional permanent resident visa
- a refined definition of ‘regional Australia’ for migration purposes
- additional points under the Skilled Migration Points Test for skilled migrants nominated to live and work in regional Australia
- more options for international students who graduate from regional universities
Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMA)
Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMAs) are a formal arrangement between the Commonwealth of Australia and a designated area representative (DAR). A DAR may be a state /territory government or regional body. DAMA enables employers in designated areas to sponsor skilled and semi-skilled overseas workers for positions they are unable to fill with local workers. The DAMA has more flexible requirements than are available with the standard skilled visa programs. A broader range of overseas workers are available because of a variation to standard occupations and skills lists and/or negotiable concessions to visa requirements. Concessions include broader occupation lists compared to the Temporary Skill Shortage (Subclass 482) short-term and medium-term lists; skills and experience concessions; English language requirement concessions for certain occupation, and age concessions.
DAMA is a practical way to match regional labour market needs with the government’s migration program. They address the skills needs of regional Australia whilst also offering a permanent visa pathway for people who may not meet the criteria for another visa. The 2 new DAMAs for South Australia focus on Adelaide’s high-tech growth industries including defence, space, technology and advanced manufacturing industries, and South Australia’s regional high growth industries including health and social services, tourism and hospitality, agribusiness, forestry, construction and mining. These agreements cover 170 occupations and provide sponsorship for more than 1000 people. It’s certainly a great time to relocate to South Australia.
We can provide you, or your prospective employer, with detailed information about how this process works
We can assist you with the following visas:
- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional)(subclass 494)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
- Skilled Regional (Provisional)(subclass 489)
- Skilled Regional (subclass 887)
- Skilled Work Regional (Provisional)(subclass 491)