Resident Return Visas and Citizenship

If you hold a permanent visa do not make the mistake of thinking that you can depart and re-enter Australia for ever. A permanent visa does not give you an indefinite automatic right of entry to Australia. If you do not have a valid travel facility, you will be denied entry.  

A permanent visa usually permits a 5-year travel facility. For the duration of the validity period of your visa, you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like from the date your permanent visa was granted. However, the travel facility (not the permanent visa itself) will expire after 5 years and you will need to apply for and be granted either a Resident Return Visa (if you wish to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident) or Australian citizenship.  

Australian citizenship allows you unlimited time outside of Australia and the right to re-enter. You don’t have to worry about applying for a Resident Return Visa, or waiting offshore if you have departed Australia without one. The main criterion for citizenship is the length of time you have resided in Australia.  Talk to us about your eligibility well in advance of any plans to remain outside of Australia for a period of time as you may discover that you do not meet the residency criterion.  

We can assist you with the following: 

  • Citizenship applications 
  • Resident Return (subclass 155 and 157) 
  • Confirmatory (Residence)(subclass 808) 
  • Former Resident (subclass 151) 

Book an introductory chat